source file organization

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jan 3 23:49:51 CET 2003

At 05:33 PM 1/3/03, Mark Lanett wrote:

>David Relson wrote:
>
> > The known disadvantage is cvs.  cvs doesn't like moving files.
>
>The way you move files in cvs is to copy the repository file from one
>location to the new one, and then obsolete the old file. This preserves
>history correctly. There is one minor problem, which is that the new files
>will show up if you check out by date in the past, but since these files are
>in their own directory, it's insignificant.
>
>~mark

Mark,

Using SourceForge for cvs services restricts us to what the cvs commands
let us do.  If we could do as you suggest, there wouldn't be a
problem.  However, moving files is outside the cvs command set and we don't
have the needed access on SourceForge.  Unless I'm missing an important
detail, which is always possible, we can't do as you suggest.  I wish we
could, but I don't think we can.  Darn :-(