current MIME decoder

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Fri Jan 3 07:18:01 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:18:06PM -0500, David Relson wrote:

> >Hum, I know that feeling. *shrug* I should've added as "type"
> >application/octet-stream. The type defines the content, is it a message,
> >a file, some text (and if so, enriched, html, plain), an image,
> >whatever. In contrast, the disposition tells the browser if it should
> >display the "entity" in place ("inline") or as paper clip symbol
> >("attachment"), that's orthogonal. Unless we make the latter into a meta
> >token or parse parameters such as "filename=test.tar.gz", the
> >disposition is irrelevant to bogofilter.
>
> I'm not so sure that disposition is irrelevant.  We want to be selective
> about what we process, for example bogofilter shouldn't tokenize images,
> zip files, etc.  It's job is to process the human readable portion of the
> message.  Mime components that end up inline are seen; components that are
> output to files are not seen.

One case I can think of where the 'filename' parameter could be
tokenized is if it is a known bad extension, like .scr for a Windows
screensaver.

My personal opinion is that filtering for these special cases is more
trouble than its worth and that should be left to anti-virus scanners.
Besides a known bad attachment probably has a subject line like ILOVEYOU
that will register as spam after an email or two.

Chris