return level?

Bob Parnass, AJ9S parnass at megsinet.net
Tue Feb 18 15:59:48 CET 2003

We are looking at different manual pages.

Here's the relevent portion of the manual page for exit()
on my Red Hat 8 system.  Notice that only 8 bits are important:

NAME
       exit - cause normal program termination

SYNOPSIS
       #include <stdlib.h>

       void exit(int status);

DESCRIPTION
       The exit() function causes normal program termination and the the value
       of status & 0377 is returned to the parent (see  wait(2)).   All  func-
       tions  registered with atexit() and on_exit() are called in the reverse
       order of their registration, and  all  open  streams  are  flushed  and
       closed.  Files created by tmpfile() are removed.

       The C standard specifies two defines EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE that
       may be passed to exit() to indicate successful or unsuccessful termina-
       tion, respectively.