bogofilter (-o) & bogoutil (-c) bugs?

W M Brelsford k2di2 at att.net
Mon Feb 17 21:54:22 CET 2003

On Mon Feb 17 2003 at 12:25 PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> >But you didn't answer my last question regarding -o without -C:
> >don't command-line arguments override configuration file
> >settings?
>
> Since bogofilter doesn't track whether values come from the command line or
> from the config file, it uses the last value it sees.  Thus if spam_cutoff
> is specified in bogo.cf, "bogofilter -c bogo.cf -o .44 -qv" will give
> different results than "bogofilter -o .44 -c bogo.cf -qv".  When the code
> was written, I couldn't think of a good way (read "simple, clean, and
> elegant") to code a precedence like you suggest.  Have you any ideas on
> coding it?

I don't have a problem with that, except that the behavior should
be specified in the documentation.  My problem is that, with no
config file specified via -c, -o is ignored (unless -C is
included).  So it appears that the default config file
(/etc/bogofilter.cf) is processed after the command line arguments.

> >Has any thought been given to an option to specify additional
> >regular expressions for delimiting tokens?  My wife tends to use a
> >random number of periods to separate clauses, so replies that quote
> >her message leave lots of tokens like "soon.....but".  Not a big
> >deal -- I'll probably remove them periodically with dump-grep-load
> >(or remove her account on my machine..).
>
> We're using flex to generate the parsing tables.  AFAIK, it doesn't support
> runtime specified options.  Trimming replicated special characters could be
> implemented pretty easily.  Would you care to write the code?

Probably not worth it, unless it's a general need.  And I'm
probably not the best person to write it.

Thanks,

--
Bill Brelsford
k2di2 at att.net