test scripts [was: testing min_dev vs tag_header_lines]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Feb 17 15:56:59 CET 2003

At 06:32 AM 2/17/03, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Some of us do some testing once in a while (does that count
>as sports?). It would be nice to have an "official" test
>script (shell or perl) that would produce nicely readable
>results. So we don't always have to understand the
>presentation of the results.
>
>pi

pi,

I've been thinking along the same lines.  Over the weekend I was working
with Greg's scripts (which he made available at
http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis/bogofilter/subjtab.html#appA).  Greg prefers to
use multiple executables (typically one with the option enabled and the
other with the option disabled) while I prefer to use the standard
executable with config files to enable/disable options.  His scripts are
named mkdb, distrib, and runex and paths and program names correct for his
environment.  As a result of this weekend's work, I have versions of his
scripts that use the standard executable and config files and that give
comparable results.

Greg,

Do you think the scripts would be an appropriate basis for a test framework
(to give them a grandiose title)?

David

P.S.  If you want, I can send copies of them to you.