evolution?

Max Rible slothman at amurgsval.org
Wed Feb 12 18:13:23 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:30, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I recently switched from mutt to evolution.  The main thing I'm now
> missing is the ability to conveniently mark spam as spam and nonspam as
> nonspam from inside evolution, like I used to do under mutt with macros.
>
> Is anyone doing this?  Anyone looked into it and decided it wasn't going
> to happen?  I'm unfortunately not sure the evo team seems like the kind
> of group that is going to go for macros.

I am.  I have changed two of my Labels to be "Spam" and "Not Spam", and
have the following rules set up at the top of my filter chain:

Filter "False Negative"
If Label is Spam
And
Pipe Message to Shell Command /usr/bin/bogofilter -S -l returns 0
Then
Move to Folder "Spam"
Stop Processing

Filter "False Positive"
If Label is Not Spam
Then
Shell Command /usr/bin/bogofilter -N
Move to Folder "Inbox"
Stop Processing

Filter "Spam"
If Pipe Message to Shell Command /usr/bin/bogofilter -u returns 0
Then
Move to Folder "Spam"
Stop Processing

The "Spam" filter takes care of regular incoming mail.  If I get
mail that isn't recognized as spam, I right click on the message,
set its label to Spam, right click again, and hit Apply Filters.
This tells bogofilter to adjust its database to know it's a spam
message.  (In theory, I can label a message in my Spam folder
as Not Spam and send it back to my Inbox, but I don't recall any
false positives ever coming in.)

Thus far I've gotten fairly good performance from bogofilter;
on any given day it recognizes from 1/3 to 2/3 of the spam I get.
At some point I need to wire in SpamAssassin for the belt-and-braces
approach...
--
%% Max Rible % slothman at amurgsval.org % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
%% "Before enlightenment:  sharpen claws, catch mice.                %%