bogofilter over NFS

Piotr KUCHARSKI chopin at sgh.waw.pl
Sun Feb 9 20:17:41 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:35:43PM +0100, Piotr KUCHARSKI wrote:
> > opt_flags |= DB_NOMMAP;
> > before the /* open data base */ comment, as shown below near line #128;
> That did it! All tests passed (or skiped), no looping. I guess that should
> be somewhere in configure. --enable-olderthanSolaris8NFSfcntlhack :)

I verified it more carefully.

All these were conducted using lock.l_start=0, lock.l_len=0 (ie.
locking whole file; otherwise the last case won't work)

Case                     OS              FS            Result

fcntl() alone            Solaris 2.6     local UFS     OK
fcntl() alone            Solaris 2.6     NFS           OK
fcntl() alone            Solaris 8       local UFS     OK
fcntl() alone            Solaris 8       NFS           OK
mmap(file); fcntl(file)  Solaris 2.6     local UFS     OK
mmap(file); fcntl(file)  Solaris 8       local UFS     OK
mmap(file); fcntl(file)  Solaris 2.6     NFS           ERR
mmap(file); fcntl(file)  Solaris 8       NFS           OK

Casper Dik suggested to check at runtime whether mmap(file); fcntl(file)
fails and pass DB_NOMMAP accordingly. After some thoughts, maybe it's not
that bad idea. Perhaps something like that would do:

And now I start to peek inside datastore_db.c to try to fit some
code and what do I see? Eh. :)

Thanks guys.

p.

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his
heart he dreams himself your master.   -- Commissioner Pravin Lal