database rebuild [was: Unregistering Mail]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Feb 8 02:20:06 CET 2003

At 05:14 AM 2/7/03, Nick Simicich wrote:
>At 03:47 PM 2003-02-06 -0500, David Relson wrote:
>>Do people want the ability to unregister mail?  If so what would be the
>>preferred way to do it?  One of the above suggestions or something different?
>
>I do not think that unregistering is that important, although there is a
>circumstance that I would have used it in.  However, at this point, (since
>I am using -u) I have many thousands of messages in the corpus. I see that
>you have begun dating the entries so that old entries can be expired.  I
>am "reorganizing my database" - at this point, I decided to do it by
>renaming the old corpus and doing a
>
>bogoutil -d goodlist.old.db | bogoutil -l goodlist.db
>
>I tried just dumping it, but I ran out of space at about 100 meg. The db
>file fits in under 15 meg.  The load is still running, and it has cranked
>for over 95 minutes of CPU at this point.  I believe it is running,
>because if it was blocking, in a loop, the dump would not be running, and
>it has consumed about 23 minutes of CPU time itself - CPU is split 75%
>load - 20% dump. (that does not go to 100%, the CPU is idle about .3%, the
>rest is other stuff).
>
>This seems like a lot, I will wait for it for a while longer.  I am not
>running any e-mail on the system.  I wonder if this is just the way it is,
>or if there is any other way?

Nick,

Sounds like your running time for the dump/load is excessive.  "Bogoutil
-d" is quick and its output file should be smaller than the database
because it doesn't have as much overhead.   "Bogoutil -l" is also quick
(with a sorted input file, like that produced by dump).  It sounds like you
have a database problem.  Have you run db_verify, or other utility, to
check the database integrity?