bogofilter over NFS

Piotr KUCHARSKI chopin at sgh.waw.pl
Thu Feb 6 18:20:16 CET 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 03:25:48AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> I tried 0.10.1.4.cvs.20030131, and ran it NFS on a Solaris 8 client

Casper Dik on comp.protocols.nfs answered me:

    There have been many issues with NFS locking (which is why people
    generally recommand against it) and there's the general prohibition
    of locking files which are memory mapped in some OSes; and that's
    because mmap's async and anonymous (no associated process) nature and
    fcntl range locking.

    In Solaris 8+ we allow mmap() on files which are locked with offset 0
    and length 0 (the complete file).

    (Reversing the order of fcntl and mmap will always cause the second
    call to fail)

That is why it worked under Sol8 and does not at me, Sol2.6, hm.
I'll perhaps try to reuse old 0.7.4 locking code for a while.

p.

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his
heart he dreams himself your master.   -- Commissioner Pravin Lal