RPM Help Needed

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Wed Dec 31 04:03:10 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:15:31PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:42:57 -0500 Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> wrote:

> It puzzles me that, all of a sudden (with MD9.2 and bogofilter-0.15.13),
> there are now 4 perl dependencies when there used to be 0 of them (with
> MDK9.1 and bogofilter-0.15.7).  I'd like to know _why_.

Very likely, the dependency generation script got better.

> Can a requires say "db3 >= 3.3 or db4 >= 4.1" ?

Yes. That is quite common.

> > do 'rpm --showrc' for all the gory possibilities.
>
> Approx 570 lines for 289 active rules, several mentioning perl, but none
> mentioning the 3 that are being troublesome.

They would not be there. There's a dependency generation script, probably
called 'find-requires.perl', which rpm calls and feeds a list of files on
stdin. The script then looks at each file to determine and print its perl dependencies.

> Can we tell RPM to ignore the dependency?  It'd be nice to have
> bogofilter install cleanly, without having to use "--nodeps" (or
> whatever).

Only by listing the dependencies manually.

-Gyepi