where did wordlist.db come from ?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Dec 29 16:32:39 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 7:13:57 -0800
<printer at moveupdate.com> wrote:

> I was getting ready to test out the ignorelist.db feature when
> I saw that a
> wordlist.db file has been created and is in use instead of our
> spamlist.db and goodlist.db
>
> How did it happen and how can it be reverted back?

hi printer,

Since last July, bogofilter's preferred usage has been a single combined
database with both ham and spam tokens and counts in it.  This provides
improved performance over the older separate wordlists.  At startup
bogofilter checks your BOGOFILTER_DIR to see if you only have the older
files (spamlist.db and goodlist.db) or the newer file (wordlist.db).  If
you only have the older files, it will use them.  If you have the newer
file, it will use that.

Program bogoupgrade is used to convert from the older separate wordlists
to the new combined wordlist.

Bogofilter doesn't force a change from old to new, so I don't know why
you have both (assuming you didn't run bogoupgrade).  What are the sizes
of the files?  If wordlist.db is really small, i.e. 8192 bytes, then
it's an empty database.

Since you have all three files you can delete wordlist.db (or rename
it), and bogofilter will use the older files.

David

Note:  you are _strongly_ urged to switch from the old format to the new
format.  The 0.16 release of bogofilter will, by default, build without
support for the old format (though support can be enabled during
configuration).  The 0.17 release of bogofilter will not have code to
support the old format.