Passthrough mode - X-Bogosity header & its effect on the corpus

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 1 12:34:17 CET 2003

Hi,

I've recently installed Bogofilter & given it some basic tuition using
my spam & personal (ham) folders. I reckon this is probably a slightly
dumb question, as others must have considered it before, but I can't
see it covered in the FAQ or README anywhere.

I use maildrop as my MTA & I wish to use it in conjunction with
Bogofilter to move all bogus-looking messages into a "Spam/Probable"
maildir. I intend to review this folder periodically using my mail
client, removing any ham & moving spam into a separate "Spam/Definite"
folder, so that I can use a monthly cron job to teach Bogofilter
further.

My concern is with the standard maildrop recipe that is supplied with
Bogofilter, and with Bogofilter's passthrough option.

   xfilter 'bogofilter -f -p -u -l -e -v'
   # if spam, file this into the "spam-bogofilter" folder and exit
processing
   if (/^X-Bogosity: (Spam|Yes)/)
   to "spam.probable"

Every spam in my probably folder will then have an additional header
line something like this:

My concern is that when I move this message to my "Spam/Definite"
folder & use it to teach Bogofilter, then that header will affect the
corpus. I guess there are a number of possible repercussions - that
Bogofilter will expect an incoming message without the "X-Bogosity:
Yes" line to be ham, that the word "Yes" has an increased bogosity, or
just that my Bogofilter database will get filled up with
"spamicity=0.x" entries.

Does Bogofilter ignore X-Bogosity headers..? I can see no mention of
this in the manpage.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Stroller.