bogoupgrade

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel rbp at isnomore.net
Fri Aug 22 18:37:02 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20 2003 at 10:47:13PM BRT, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
> Jef Poskanzer <jef at acme.com> writes:
>
> > % db_verify spamlist.db
> > db_verify: Page 2764: out-of-order key at entry 108
> > db_verify: Page 3488: out-of-order key at entry 184
> > db_verify: DB->verify: spamlist.db: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
> > % db_verify goodlist.db
> > %
> >
> > So I guess I'll remove the spamlist, retrain only on my spam collection
> > (I keep about a week's worth), and then try the bogoupgrade again.
>
> Well, you could have some success with db_dump -r and db_load, but you'd
> better check with bogoutil -d after that to see how much data is
> missing. db_stat -d on the old and repaired .db file may give you an
> idea of how much has been gone - provided that db_stat terminates.

        BTW, why are bogofilter databases so often corrupted? For a time,
everytime I upgraded bogofilter (which was *not* on every bogofilter
release) I trained it again and stored the previous db files. When I saw a
(4, actually) were corrupted. Ok, so I upgraded to 0.14.3-1 (Debian) and
retrained it. That was about a week ago (9 days, I think). And yesterday I
noticed wordlist.db is corrupt again!

rbp at francesca:~/.bogofilter$ db4.1_verify wordlist.db
db_verify: Page 1707: out-of-order key at entry 59
db_verify: DB->verify: wordlist.db.bak: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed

        Now, this shouldn't be happening so often, right? At the very least,
we should be getting some sort of warning from bogofilter ("Warning: corrupt
database, please retrain" or something).

        And what causes corruption? A message bogofilter doesn't understand?

        I'm implementing what David Relson sugested (cronjob to backup and
verify daily), but that's just a workaround, we should try and understand
what's causing this.

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <rbp at isnomore.net>