ignore text/plain part of multipart/alternative messages?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Aug 12 23:39:27 CEST 2003

Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> writes:

> David Flanagan <david at davidflanagan.com> wrote:
>
>>The biggest category of spam that's been getting through to me is
>>multipart/alternative messages that contain text apparently excerpted
>>from books in the text/plain part, and whatever the spammer's payload is
>>in the text/html part.
>
> Is that true?

I haven't seen that /particular/ style, but I also have received a lot
of multipart/alternative UCE with empty text/plain part. Not that it
confused my bogofilter configuration.

Anyways, it's still a point to white list some newsletters (I'm
subscribed to Agfanet, who allow you to choose from multipart plain+html
or just text/plain) and discard any other multipart/alternative that
contains text/html. I have yet to see a _real_ use for HTML extensions
in solicited mail although I'm getting some multipart/alternative stuff
from friends who are too lazy or too dumb to configure Outlook.