xmlto

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Aug 11 17:47:20 CEST 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> Getting back to the original question, factoring out a "doc" target
> isn't trivial with automake. I'm not sure if I want to do it. Try using
> GNU make (assume it's called gmake): ( cd doc && gmake -t ) -- it will
> not rebuild the targets, but fake them (using a "touch" equivalent).

No, it is actually quite easy since Automake passes traditional make
targets through to the output Makefile.in.  This means you can simply
add

docs:
	do something

to the Makefile.in.  If you want this to be tied to some other
standard target, then you can use one of the Automake -hook targets.

It is also quite easy to make this behavior conditional using a
configure option and Automake conditionals.

The problem with the 'gmake -t' approach (which I did use once) is
that the result makes for very short reading and is not very
informative. :-)

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us