the end of bayesian?

Elijah Saxon elijah at riseup.net
Fri Aug 1 19:42:51 CEST 2003

Every time someone posts a dire scenario saying the end is near, someone
else points out that bogofilter is actually really robust and will learn
to catch said newfangled spam. This has kept me rather comforted in my
faith. Until today, when I got a spam that is all random words with one
image as the body. I am using pine, so I don't see the spam, but that
doesn't matter: it is annoying just to get it. Even if most people use
mail clients that don't display images in html mail, enough people will
use clients that do so that spammers will continue to send this kind of
mail. So is the future a world where we are still getting flooded with
spam but we can't read it? That is pretty much already my present: half my
spam is in a language I can't read and now it looks like the other half
will be images I can't see. I guess the one hope would be that the headers
have enough information to identify a message as spam, but I am not
holding by breath.

-elijah