problems using bogofilter v0.11.1.3

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Apr 19 01:20:46 CEST 2003

At 06:21 PM 4/18/03, Torsten Kunkel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>since a few months I'm using bogofilter. Till now I had no problems
>with it, but since my last update nothing works.
>First a short description of my system. I'm using a debian testing,
>there the actual bogofilterversion is 0.11.1.3. I'm fetching my mails
>by using fetchmail and piping the mails by procmail to my local
>mailboxes.
>
>Since the update to 0.11.1.3 EVERY email produces this entry in my log:
>
>Apr 10 21:01:49 b5 bogofilter[7769]: register-s, 237 words, 1 messages
>Apr 10 21:01:50 b5 bogofilter[7778]: X-Bogosity: No,
>spamicity=0.415000, version=0.11.1.3
>
>Every mail i tested gets spamicity=0.415000. I already removed my
>bogofilterdatabases, but no success. The databases get build without
>errors when the next mail gets checked:
>b5:/home/torsten/.bogofilter # l
>insgesamt 24
>drwx------    2 torsten  torsten      4096 2003-04-10 21:06 .
>drwxr-xr-x   31 torsten  users        4096 2003-04-10 21:04 ..
>-rw-------    1 torsten  torsten      8192 2003-04-10 21:06 goodlist.db
>-rw-------    1 torsten  torsten      8192 2003-04-10 21:06 spamlist.db
>
>Both databases always have the same sice, equal how many mails i check.

Hello Torsten,

I can likely help you with bogofilter and the wordlists, but I can't help
you with mutt.

If you're able to build from source, I'd recommend getting the stable
version (0.11.2) from SourcForge and building that.

The 0.415 value indicates that bogofilter is not finding any tokens in its
wordlists.  Do you know if the wordlists have anything in
them?  "bogofilter -w $BOGOFILTER_DIR .MSG_COUNT" can be used to check
message counts.  Each time you run "bogofilter -s" or "bogofilter -n" you
should see the appropriate count go up.

You can test the parsing with command "bogolexer -p <message" which will
print the tokens in the message.  If that looks right, try "bogofilter -vvv
-d $BOGOFILTER_DIR < message" which will print lots of output (which is
described in the FAQ - use the URL at the end of this message).

Let me know what happens with the above commands and we'll figure what to
do next.