configure failure os x

Michael K. Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Thu Apr 3 02:20:04 CEST 2003

Hi Matthias,

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 4:51PM -0600, Matthias Andree wrote:
>>  I had the same problem when running Bogofilter configure on an AIX
>>  machine.  The config.log showed that gcc was returning errors related
>>  the pthread library.
>
> Can you quote from that file?

Will do.

>>  I could try it again and post the exact error messages if it would
>>  help.  BerkeleyDB built fine, so I looked in its configure file and
>>  there was extensive checking for thread-related stuff.  I manually
>>  edited Bogofilter's configure file to use xlc_r with the -pthread
>>  option instead of gcc

Actually I was rembering this wrong. After playing with it today, I
recalled that what I did was set CC to xlc_r, then tried to change it
back to gcc in the Makefiles that configure created (since they weren't
working with xlc_r in there).

> Hum, I'm ignorant about xlc_r, but bogofilter does not make use of
> (POSIX) threads.

I'm pretty sure the thread errors are being caused by the small program
configure attempts to compile to check for a valid BerkeleyDB install.

>>  (I don't know where I saw this, it might have
>>  been from BerkeleyDB's generated Makefile) and I got configure to run
>>  successfully, but then I would get errors when running make.
>
> Can you remember these? Do these occur without the -pthread option to
> xlc_r? what is this xlc_r anyways?

Yes, I'll get those (make errors) to you as well. As for xlc_r, I guess
it is some sort of c compiler. I'll also post the intro from the man
file when I get back to a terminal. It goes by other names too, mainly
xlc but also cc, and some more xlc_? variations. IIRC the intro begins
like 'C compiler for AIX', or something to that effect.

I tried gcc with -lpthread and still got the pthread errors. I also
tried various combinations of xlc, xlc_r, cc, -pthread, and -lpthread.
The only way for me to get configure to run successfully was to use
xlc_r. It ran fine without the -pthread and/or -lpthread options, so
apparently those weren't doing anything.

I will send you the full output and post the most important parts here
to the list, just in case someone listening has any ideas.

Thanks for the help!
Mike