AIX [was: configure failure os x]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Apr 2 22:14:42 CEST 2003

At 02:47 PM 4/2/03, Michael K. Ter Louw wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, David Relson wrote:
> > I would guess that BerkeleyDB is in a subdirectory of $HOME, perhaps
> > $HOME/BerkeleyDB4.1.  Have you tried naming the _subdirectory_ in your
> > configure command?
>
>The BerkeleyDB libraries are installed in $HOME/lib, and db.h is installed
>in $HOME/include.  From the looks of things in the configure script, /lib
>and /include is appended as needed (so the files should be accessable).
>This is the same setup I used on the Solaris machine to install 0.11.1.4,
>and again for 0.11.1.5 without problems.
>
>I tried again using CC set to xlc_r and CFLAGS set to -pthread.  Configure
>runs fine but make still fails.  I'm attaching the output in case you can
>get anything from it.  This isn't an urgent matter for me, so if you're
>pressed for time please don't worry too much about it.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Looks like you've got the compiler flags wrong.  You've got lots of
"command option * contains an incorrect subargument" messages.  Often it's
complaining about the letter 't', which I'm guessing is from "-pthread"
which I'm guessing is your lib specification.  Most compilers I've known
use "-l" to name a library, i.e. "-lpthread" to specify the pthread library.

Have you others there who are familiar with building programs on your AIX
box?  Likely they'd know the idiosyncracies of AIX.

Are you _sure_ you need to use xlc_r?  Is that the only compiler
available?  Elrond, in his comments about build RPMs on AIX made no mention
of needing/using a compiler other than gcc.

David

P.S. Let's use the mailing list for messages without attachments.  Somebody
with more AIX experience may know the answer you need.