possible message count corruption?

Jeremy Blosser jblosser-bogofilter at firinn.org
Thu Sep 19 17:47:52 CEST 2002

On Sep 19, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-bogofilter at firinn.org] wrote:
> As mentioned previously, we're running some basic stress tests using
> bogofilter to classify our entire incoming mail load as spam, and something
> interesting happened.  Note that we're using 0.7.3, so it's possible this
> is known and fixed; we're looking seriously at deploying this in production
> within weeks, so we grabbed the latest version that was not explicitly
> tagged 'beta' on sf.net.

And again.  Not concerned with the misordering since there's obviously no
locking of the log going on, but it does look like running multiple
concurrent instances is causing some problems.  The 940 -> 1 -> 940 -> 2 is
especially interesting.

% grep '^bogofilter: ' bogofilter-log | grep -C ' 1 messages'
bogofilter: 15904 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 15905 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 3 messages on the spam list
--
bogofilter: 1081 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1082 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 3 messages on the spam list
--
bogofilter: 47 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 48 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 3 messages on the spam list
--
bogofilter: 2687 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2688 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 3 messages on the spam list
--
bogofilter: 939 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 940 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 1 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 940 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 2 messages on the spam list
--
bogofilter: 3739 messages on the spam list
bogofilter: 3740 messages on the spam list