The Risk of Spam Complaints

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Oct 21 12:12:52 CEST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Rob Hill wrote:

> I've been wondering about this too - especially with regards to
> postmaster email (which I'm bypassing for now). Often postmaster mail
> (which is completely legit) has the body of a spam email in it - should
> this be marked as spam or non-spam?
>
> Also, another question if you will - most users don't have a 'bounce' or
> 'resend' facility on their mailer - so if they _forward_ spam to a
> bogofilter alias to have it marked as spam, the forwarded mail contains
> many headers that are legitimate, including the from address of the
> sender etc... (and Subject: Fwd: etc...).
>
> Will these mails not 'corrupt' the corpus?
>
> Has anyone come across this before?

I'm trying this, filing postmaster stuff through bogofilter -N and see
how that will affect spam in the long run and see how many false
negatives I get. However, it's quite hard to convince bogofilter that
postmaster spam bounces are legit sometimes, but I haven't done any
research (bogofilter -vv) why this happens.