question on multiple wordlists

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Fri Oct 11 19:02:42 CEST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:51:31AM -0500, Eric Seppanen wrote:
> The goals are:
[snip]
> - allow use of plaintext lists (possibly requiring conversion to db
> format) for whitelisting, blacklisting, ignore-listing.

I can see how ignore-listing would work, but I am not certain
that the current framework would support (white|black)listing without major changes
since that kind of functionality requires that we search for the presence of particular
tokens [1] which then force the decision one way or the other. This would mean, for instance,
that bogofilter() and register_words() cannot (however indirectly) drive the lexer since we need more
contextual information than is currently available within those functions.

I wonder if we should not leave (white|black)listing to other tools which are better at it.
Especially given that the markers for xlisting are usually quite grepable and require some
surrounding context.

[1]. I imagine that *listing files would contains lines like: