mailing list speed

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Oct 5 16:51:20 CEST 2002

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002, Graham Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 11:51:51PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > Your list server rocks!  Looking at my system logs, my most recent post
> > went out at 23:48:14 and the list server connected back to my mail server
> > at 23:48:25.  A round trip of 11 seconds.  Very nice :-)
>
> qmail and ezmlm. a winning combination.

qmail is somewhat quick under good conditions, but totally falls apart
at high injection rates or when upstreams start deferring mail.

I'm not saying that Adrian's qmail is broken, but most qmail Linux
setups I've seen are unreliable because a) Linux does not by itself
disable the write cache of IDE hard drives, whereas most drives ship
with the cache enabled, and b) the qmail directories (/var/qmail, home
directories) are NOT mounted -o sync as they ought to be -- and then,
qmail looks fast, but is also quick to lose some mail.

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/reliability.html#filesystems