Sample Recipe

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Fri Oct 4 23:14:32 CEST 2002

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

>> >    MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
>> >    HOME=/var/lib/bogofilter
>>
>>That looks strange. MAILDIR is the directory where procmail
>>saves the files, in my case I use MAILDIR=$HOME/.procmail.
>>You definitely don't want it in /var/spool/mail. I don't see
>>a reason to redefine HOME. This is never used unless you
>>call it explicitly as I do in $MAILDIR. So I would not
>>really include it in the man page here.
>
>Consider the following environment... bogofilter is running on the mail
>server, not a user workstation.  The wordlists are in a system
>location.  The role of bogofilter is to identify spam and put it in a file
>from which it can be retrieved by the sysadmin.  Said sysadmin, wishes to
>use a normal MUA for retrieving the spam.  Note: there will be a mechanism
>for the sysadmin to reverse bogofilter's identifications and re

The question here is who runs procmail? In my case it runs
on the server (where else;-) but under my user id. So it
uses my $HOME etc. I think this is the normal situation for
the man pages.

If you would want to run at an earlier stage, any directory
with the right permissions will do for $MAILDIR. But you
don't need $HOME.

>The use of a MUA to retrieve the spam indicates the file should be in the
>normal mail directory, i.e. /var/spool/mail.

Pay attention that every file procmail writes will be
relative to that. This could be the file for spam or the log
file or anything else.

pi