New Option - '-u' for update

Ben Rosengart br at panix.com
Fri Oct 4 22:48:50 CEST 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:36:39PM +0200, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> Ben Rosengart <br at panix.com> wrote:
>
> >Everyone can tell in an instant what "nonspam" is.  "Ham" is a
> >bogofilter in-joke.
>
> Hm, the name bogofilter suggests it is nerd-ware.

I am as nerdy as anyone, but "ham" doesn't mean anything to me.

> Ham sound
> reasonable in this context. And of course, if someone wants
> to use a program it is a good idea to RTFM. >;->

I have seen this argument used many times to justify counterintuitive
behavior in software.  I don't buy it.  Even software that's
painstakingly audited for usability is going to confuse people some
of the time.  There's no reason to go out of one's way to make
things worse.

As a systems administrator, I am often asked for help with unix
command-line software by various people.  Frequently, I am unfamiliar
with the software in question.  I am grateful when the program
contains no in-jokes; when the documentation is in the man page,
instead of a usage statement or info file or web page; when the
terms used in the documentation are self-explanatory.

Certainly, in-jokes and unclear terms can be explained.  Certainly,
it is easy enough to fire up info (though figuring out its interface
is another matter).  Certainly, loading a web page is nothing
difficult.  But these things add up.  Be kind to your users --
they're installing spam filters because they're tired of jumping
through hoops just to read their email, so don't give them more
hoops to jump through.

*wipes brow*
*steps off soapbox*

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business?  Theirs, or yours?"    --Tim O'Reilly