base64 spam

Jeremy Blosser jblosser-bogofilter at firinn.org
Wed Nov 20 07:24:07 CET 2002

On Nov 19, Allyn Fratkin [allyn at fratkin.com] wrote:
> David Relson wrote:
> >My son is the lucky recipient of OsageSoftware's first spam message
> >totally encoded in base64.
>
> welcome to my world.
>
> that's amazing that you have been able to avoid them for so long.
> a check of my spam corpus at work (~6000 messages from 2002) turns up
> about 175 of these messages.  (at home i have a procmail rule
> that sends them directly to /dev/null).

At home it's > 10% (corpus of ~2500 spams).  At work it looks like it's
around 4% (corpus of ~350,000 spams since around the start of September...
caught spams anyway, we know some are getting through our current checks).

And FWIW, now that I'm caught up with the activity here, I got the latest
bogofilter release up and running in the delivery chain at home over the
weekend... 2 spams have gotten through so far, 1 was base64, the other was
rather eloquent for spam.  I correct bogofilter on both, and checked
again... the latter was now seen as spam, but the base64 still wasn't.