compile trouble

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Nov 6 02:08:24 CET 2002

"Jim" <jim at jtackett.com> writes:

> I had a simular ./configure error.  It complained about not being able to
> find the BerkeleyDB libraries, even after installed BerkeleyDB 4.0.  So I
> added the path option and it still complained.  I posted my error and
> problem on Sourceforge for someone to help me and I never got a response.
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=62265&atid=499998

The nonstandard FreeBSD db3/db4 install location compromises the usual
./configure && make build. However, the canonical way to install the
software on FreeBSD is via the ports system. There is just a tiny
drawback: the port /still/ has not been committed to the ports tree
(i. e. not generally available), neither the 0.7.5 port I filed on
October 18th nor the 0.7.6 port I filed on October 30th. It's a pity.

Check here:

      http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/44753

or complain to ports at freebsd.org.

You can try to download the raw version of the ports/44753 problem
report, cut the lines before and after the shar, run it (that gives a
new directory, bogofilter) and just do "cd bogofilter ; make install clean"

To configure on FreeBSD 4.7, try:

env CPPFLAGS=/usr/local/include/db3 LIBS=-ldb3 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
  sh ./configure --with-db=/usr/local

Replace the two "db3" with "db4" if appropriate, and adjust all
/usr/local occurrences if your PREFIX is not /usr/local. Note that only
very fresh bogofilter versions cope with db4.1, if in doubt, go for
db3. (db3 and db4 can be installed at the same time).

I think I'll upload a (db3-dependent) FreeBSD 4.7 package (for
pkg_add(1)) of bogofilter 0.8.0 after the release.