flag settings

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Nov 1 13:59:05 CET 2002

At 07:42 AM 11/1/02, Tom Allison wrote:

>Usage question:
>
>If I am choosing to run everything with the -r option.
>Do I need to specify that same option if I'm teaching or correcting
>bogofilter?
>
>Or:
>
>If I use
>bogofilter -p -e -r -u
>
>should I use:
>bogofilter -s -r
>and
>bogofilter -S -r
>
>or just leave the '-r' out for the last two lines...

Tom,

A good question.  One of the differences between Graham and Robinson is the
counts used in updating the word lists.  Graham has a max of 4 (per word
per message), while Robinson uses 1.  So, to be totally kosher, one should
build a database using the same algorithm as will be used when classifying
messages.

I don't think there's been any research to measure what happens when you
mix algorithms.

FWIW, my word lists were built with Graham and updated using Graham for
several weeks until I switched to Robinson last week.  I'm using "-p -e -r
-u -l" in my procmailrc, and my "correction" script has been using "-S -l"
and "-N -l".  I forgot to update it to "-r" - an oversight I just
corrected.  I still have all the incoming email, so I could rebuild the
word lists, but I've been too lazy.