Dependencies (was Re: Spammers catching on)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 31 18:39:05 CET 2002

At 12:31 PM 12/31/02, Parker Morse wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 11:45  AM, David Relson wrote:
>>At 11:25 AM 12/31/02, Parker Morse wrote:
>>>./t.score1: syntax error near unexpected token `then'
>>>FAIL: t.score1
>>
>>"syntax error" indicates that the wrong shell is running.  The syntax
>>error is in script tests/t.frame, which is run by script tests/t.score1.
>>All the scripts start with "#!/bin/sh" and expect the bash shell (though
>>Matthias may tell me they're supposed to be shell independent).  What do
>>you get if you run "/bin/sh --version"?  Try changing the "#!/bin/sh"
>>lines to "#!/bin/bash" and see what happens.
>
>[root bogofilter-0.9.1.2]# /bin/sh -version
>/bin/sh -version
>GNU sh, version 1.14.7(1)
>[root bogofilter-0.9.1.2]# /bin/bash -version
>GNU bash, version 1.14.7(1)
>[root bogofilter-0.9.1.2]#
>
>(double hyphens before "version" produces an error.)
>
>/bin/sh appears to be a link to /bin/bash. Changing the shell script lines
>to /bin/bash produces the same error messages on "make check" (repeated
>for those who haven't seen them):

Getting bash is the right answer, though version 1.14.7 may be
wrong.  Matthias is our expert on the different shells and the creator of
the test framework.  I'll let him further diagnose what's wrong, expecting
that he can easily fix the problem.

Not understanding the "--version" means that your version of bash doesn't
understand long option names.  Have you thought about upgrading it?

>I HAVE had issues with running scripts on this machine - installing Judy,
>in fact. I ended up replacing a slew of double brackets [[]] with singles
>in order to run make. Then I discovered Judy was no longer needed. :-S

The good news on _that_ is that ESR's page points to the SourceForge
project (as of yesterday).  Now folks discovering bogofilter will never
hear of Judy, much less know of the old dependency.