Spammers catching on

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Tue Dec 17 21:45:35 CET 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:36:09PM -0700, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> It might also be possible to have pseudo-tokens in the "word"
> database.  E.g. .html-font-same-foreground-as-background could be in
> the database with a good and SPAM count.  Then it could count against
> messages having that property.

The problem is making the determination that the colors are the same.
Once we start adding rules like that, we begin to creep into static rules
that could soon be rendered obsolete.

I would, however, be interested in a pre-processing tool that could determine
that the two colors are the same and add the information to the email.
Essentially the tool would analyze the message for certain properties,
perhaps based on SpamAssassin (like) rules and encode the results
as tokens in the message itself, perhaps in the header. Note that we would not be using
SpamAssassin scores here, just names of possible spammy properties.

That could be very useful.

-Gyepi