Spammers catching on

Zack Brown zbrown at tumblerings.org
Tue Dec 17 19:43:15 CET 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 08:09:02PM -0500, Suzanne Skinner wrote:
> Here's another case of sneaky, bayesian-filter-evading spammers. This one,
> alas, was successful: it scored around 0.5 with Robinson-Fisher. Fortunately,
> my SpamAssassin backup (threshold 10.0) caught it with a whopping 29 point
> score.

It's good that spammers are exploring these strategies so early. They
give us good 'food' for thought...

I suspect the next great leap forward in anti-spam techniques will involve
neural nets. After all, that's their big strength - categorizing things
with a sophistication that human-readable algorithms (like bayesian filters)
have trouble with.

I imagine the front end of such a tool would be almost identical to
bogofilter today - new email could be used to train the system further,
and false positives/negatives could be corrected by hand.  But instead of
the limited system of tokenizing and forming stats, the whole email would be
sent through the neural system and processed according to whatever structures
that system chose to recognize.

Be well,
Zack

> *********
>
> <HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#ffffff" BACK=3D"#ffffff">the story is sad and downtr=
> odden, not unlike the look on your face when you realized that the fine tu=
> xedo you had rented was way too small<BR>
> <FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000">Looking for some adult fun?  We have the widest v=
> ariety of adult DVD/VHS anywhere, and they are FREE!  You only pay a small=
>  shipping charge, and your satisfaction is guaranteed!  Go to <A HREF=3D"h=
> ttp://pornadultdvds.com/store19/index.htm">FREE ADULT DVD/VHS</A> for the =
> full story.  Must be 18 to play!<BR>
>
> [snip]
>
> <FONT  COLOR=3D"#ffffff" BACK=3D"#ffffff">my get up and go must have got u=
> p and went, so says steve tyler<BR>
> the cafeteria was agonizingly consistent in terms of producing a tasteless=
>  mishmash of awful casserolescalifornia used to be a great place to do<BR>
> somountains look prettythere is no asymtotic limit to the amount of raw da=
> ta that the computer can assimilate now<BR></FONT></HTML>
>
> *********
>
> Suzanne
>
> --
> tril at igs.net - http://www.igs.net/~tril/
>
> A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
> He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
> He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
> He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
> He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
> Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.
>                                     -- Principia Discordia

Zack Brown