newbie question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Dec 5 20:43:31 CET 2002

At 02:22 PM 12/5/02, Brian Minton wrote:

>If I have a bunch of spam messages in a mbox style folder, is it
>a good idea to just do bogofilter -s ~/mail/spam or should I do
>it on a per message basis?
>
>thanks,
>Brian

Brian,

Welcome!

As a newbie, you can run lots of experiments without fear of destroying
months' accumulation of data.  You're in a great place to be :-)

Seriously, make sure you have the newest version 0.9.1.1.  The previous
release (0.9.1) had some problems that have been corrected.

As your first experiment, run "bogofilter -s < ~/mail/spam" and see what
happens.  It should say something like "2345 words, 27 messages".  The
message count is you clue that bogofilter recognizes the different messages
in the mailbox.  It's not necessary for you to split it up.

If you really want to split it up, use the "formail" command.