Redhat 5 compilation errors in xmem_error.c

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Dec 5 17:05:50 CET 2002

Nick Simicich <njs at scifi.squawk.com> writes:

> #ifdef NEVER
> /*@noreturn@*/

Here should have been a function declaration for die. Can you diff
against the original version and see if that got lost over your change?

> #ifdef __GNUC__
> __attribute__ ((noreturn))
> #endif
> #endif
>
> stuff is not recognized.  (The #ifdef NEVER stuff is added by me, since
> it seemed that my version of __GNUC__ has no idea what you are talking
> about.)  I have no idea how much optimization an __attribute__
> ((noreturn)) actually gives you given that this can't be communicated, I
> don't think.  If this is an important optimization, it might be better
> inlined.

It's utterly irrelevant and just there to kill gcc 3.2 warnings that
we're not interested in. Just kill the __attribute__ line if your gcc
2.7.2.3 barfs on it.

> ./t.score1: syntax error near unexpected token `then'
> FAIL: t.score1

What shell does DeadRat 5 have for /bin/sh?

Try /bin/sh -x ./t.score1 and show me the output, I might be able to do
something about it.

> [root at scifi bogofilter-0.9.1]# gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> [root at scifi bogofilter-0.9.1]#
>
> I think what is needed is an ifdef other than simply __GCC__

Apparently, all developers have gcc 2.95 or newer going, so this
__attribute__ issue was missed.

Would you care to send me a gzipped tarball of your gcc 2.7.2.3
gcc.info* files in private mail? Thanks.