PATCH [was: 0.9.1 errors]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 4 21:01:17 CET 2002

At 02:34 PM 12/4/02, Suzanne Skinner wrote:

> > I have a simple fix for bogofilter's overly zealous complaints "must get
> > only one message to calculate spamicity!". It's a simple enhancement for
> > the "^From " pattern for detecting message starts.
>
>Isn't it the standard for mbox to escape any occurrences of "^From " in the
>message text by prefixing it with ">"?
>
>Suzanne

Suzanne,

Yes they are, but the question is "When?"  Unfortunately, I'm not sure
exactly.

Messages are received one at a time, so the incoming message doesn't need
the prefix. The "^From " is added by the receiver, along with other header
info (like time, source address, etc).  Since messages are known to arrive
one by one, they don't need the escaping until they go into am mbox.  In
the mbox, the prefix is needed so that messages can be separated.