article on blocking by subnets

Barry Gould BarryGould at PennySaverUSA.net
Tue Dec 3 02:26:56 CET 2002

At 04:51 PM 12/2/2002, you wrote:
 >Have you the expertise to write the code?  Would you care to?

I'm not sure... it's been a LONG time since I've written any C.

However, I'd be happy to suggest an algorithm:

if (token is an IP address (in form a.b.c.d) )
{
         create a new token for each of:
         class C net (a.b.c.0)
         class B net (a.b.0.0)
         class A net (a.0.0.0) (dunno if this is a good idea or not)

         and Evaluate or Store/Update them as appropriate, in addition to
the original IP
}

things to beware of:
mail agent/daemon version numbers can look like IP's

Is it possible to use Regular Expressions, or would that involve
non-standard C libraries?

I'll try to see if I can come up with some numbers from my corpora as to
whether this would be worthwhile.

Thanks,
Barry