Bogofilter-1.0.3 - new current release

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jul 11 11:31:21 CEST 2006

Greetings,

I have uploaded a new "bogotune bugfix" release, bogofilter 1.0.3,
to SourceForge.net.

Only minor issues were addressed (list at the very end of this message).
If you're happy with 1.0.2, particularly if you're not running into the
bogotune problems shown below, there is no need for you to upgrade.

David and I have agreed on my releasing this 1.0.3 version, to have all
fixes in a release before we're going into experimenting with new features.

  (If you wish to follow up with a post, please post only to the
  bogofilter users list, <bogofilter at bogofilter.org>. The Reply-To
  header is set accordingly.)

DOWNLOAD
the new release is available from SourceForge.net:

<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=62265&package_id=63241&release_id=430935>

Note that the .tar.gz file was incompletely uploaded yesterday, I have
uploaded it again a few minutes ago. So if you got gzip or tar
complaining about a prematurely ending file, try redownloading it.

BINARY RPMS
so many to choose from: which to download, and when

The *.i586.rpm files at the download site are binary RPMs for Linux
systems with glibc version 2.2 or newer installed and in i586, i686 or
x86_64 (amd64, x64) architecture.

Note 1: Be sure to grab the bogofilter version for the right database.
        Type "bogofilter -V" to find out what database it's using.

        Berkeley DB 3.*, 4.0.*, 4.1.*: either install from source for
        your database version OR read doc/README.db *BEFORE* installing
        the new version to avoid database corruption.

        Berkeley DB 4.2.*: you can use one of the -db42 RPMs (see below)

        Berkeley DB 4.3.* or 4.4.* or QDBM: you must build from source.

        SQlite 3.*: you can use one of the -sqlite3 RPMs (see below).

Note 2: the -static RPMs are a bit bigger and contain the database
        library built-in. If your operating system offers a
        corresponding library package, use that instead and grab the
        non-static bogofilter RPM.

Note 3: you do not need the -debuginfo RPMs for normal operation,
        download them only if a bogofilter developer asks you for a
        stack backtrace or you know a potential error you're observing
        is best debugged with a stack backtrace.

SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
should be performed before installing the packages

The RPMs are GnuPG signed, and there are detached GnuPG signatures for
the tarballs, too.

1. first you need to obtain my public key.

   There are several alternatives to obtain my GnuPG key, the first
   requires properly configured key servers for gpg; either will import
   my key into your GnuPG public key ring:

   - gpg --recv-keys 0x052d7e95
   - wget -O- http://home.pages.de/~mandree/keys/GPGKEY.asc | gpg --import
   - curl -L  http://home.pages.de/~mandree/keys/GPGKEY.asc | gpg --import

2. To verify tarball signatures, download the tarball and the .asc file,
   then type:

   gpg --verify bogofilter-1.0.3.tar.bz2.asc   (or ...gz.asc)

3. In order to verify RPM signatures with RPM v4, you first need to
   import my key (only if you trust me, that is) into RPM (you need to
   do this only once before the first time to verify my RPM signatures):

   gpg --armor --export 0x052e7d95 >/tmp/052e7d95.asc
   # do the next "rpm --import" step as root:
   rpm --import /tmp/052e7d95.asc
   rm /tmp/052e7d95.asc

   Then download the RPMs you desire (unless you already did) and type:

   rpm -K bogofilter*1.0.3*.rpm

   For each successfully verified RPM, the command will print the file
   name followed by "(sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK". If it reads "NOT OK",
   then either the key wasn't imported properly or the file was damaged
   or tampered with. Please contact me if you encounted bad signatures.

CHANGES
since release 1.0.2:

1.0.3   2006-07-10

        * Released 1.0.3 to provide the bogotune bugfixes to a wider
          audience.

        2006-07-09

        * Work around GNU make 3.81 incompatibility in doc/Makefile*
          (it does not work properly with "}\" at the line ends, but
           wants "} \" instead).

        2006-06-02

        * "make rpm" changes:
          - document use with gpg-agent (see Makefile.am)
          - build static RPMs (these won't fail) before shared RPMs

        2006-05-29

        * #include cleanups in common.h, system.h and C files.

        2006-04-28

        * Updated copyright dates.

        2006-04-13

        * Included additional config file options in bogofilter's
          --help message.

        2006-03-27

        * Corrected option parsing in bogotune to support -n ham1 ham2
          -s spam1 spam2 as suggested by bogotune -h; broken since 0.93.2.

        2006-03-26

        * Corrected problem with bogotune's -D option (thanks to Jason Smith).

        * Corrected man page description of bogotune's -n and -s options.

        2006-03-17

        * Fixed bf_compact's test for transactional environment.

The MD5 checksums David used to publish are missing from this message,
but can be downloaded from the SourceForge URL above.

- --
Matthias Andree