rpms

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Dec 30 21:14:56 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> About 8% of the downloads from SourceForge are the src.rpm file.
> Admittedly we could drop that and all the binary rpms, but I see no
> need to do that.
>
> Determining what rpmbuild wants in the spec file (for building
> different binary rpms) is more trouble, especially since rpmbuild's
> behavior seem to depend on its version.

I am not suggesting to discontinue the binary RPMs!

I suggest that we stop rolling the source RPM in a future bogofilter
1.1.0 version, since there is no practical difference between the
.tar.gz and the .src.rpm packages. One uses rpmbuild -tb, the other
rpmbuild --rebuild, and both take/need all the --defines and environment
variables you may need to tune the build.

We should build the .src.rpm for 1.0.1 for compatibility. And perhaps
for future versions, too.