[cvs] bogofilter NEWS,1.527,1.528 Makefile.am,1.173,1.174

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 02:05:38 CET 2005

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> writes:

> Another thing, on SUSE all of the database libraries (libdb.a and
> libsqlite3.a) require -lpthread for the static link (we don't have
> autoconf support for that). I'll try to get autoconf support for that.

Turns out to be nontrivial, so this won't happen today :-(

What is needed is to turn -ldb -lpthread into their static counterparts
(libdb.a libpthread.a) and suppress the later -ldb (works everywhere),
or just use -Wl,-Bstatic -ldb -lpthread -Wl,-Bdynamic (works with GNU
ld).

If there are robust wrapper scripts that can handle this nonsense and at
the same time leave glibc linked dynamically, that may just be what we
want - we can use GLIBC 2.2 (so the exe works everywhere) by using
-D__NO_CTYPE in CFLAGS, I have it in my ~/.rpmrc like this:

optflags: i386 -O2 -march=i386 -mtune=i586 -pipe -D__NO_CTYPE

The other remaining problem is to run this on a distribution old enough
where the stuff we build into bogofilter through libpthread.a will work
everywhere. SUSE 10.X is not a candidate, it uses NPTL and will thus
fail on pre-NPTL systems.