renamed scripts

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Oct 28 10:55:25 CEST 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> AFAIK, none of the contrib scripts are widely used and their names are
> of little importance.  Since bash is the standard shell of the most
> common platform for bogofilter and since sh is commonly a symlink, I'd
> be inclined to _not_ change names of either sh or bash scripts.

Perhaps not, and as Larry points out, the "magic" (sometimes called
"shebang") first line starting with #! is even more important - and you
changed that as well.

We cannot on one hand document portability awareness in investing hours
to help people port bogofilter to strange platforms (RISC OS, EMX) and
on the other hand make narrowminded changes as assuming all /bin/sh were
bash.

All the world's not Linux, particularly not in production on mail
servers, and /bin/sh may well be zsh or some obsolescent Bourne shell
(particularly on SysV systems, Solaris, IRIX are documented).

I don't have a problem with bash-specific scripts in contrib/ per se,
but they should be marked as such; plus, some FreeBSD users have asked
about getting rid of the bash dependency, and 0.96.4 will achieve
exactly that unless I missed some bashism that isn't obvious in /bin/sh -n.

If there is some left, I'm sure we'll hear from the NetBSD guys or some
FreeBSD bogofilter user soon enough. I'll launch a 0.96.3_2 port for
FreeBSD to patch the contrib/ scripts to see if the bashisms are gone
now.