feature freeze/reservation locks postponed until after 1.0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Oct 26 21:08:35 CEST 2005

Greetings,

I am announcing that bogofilter is now officially and strictly in
feature freeze until 1.0 is out in Mid November, if all will be well.

We are planning to do two more release candidates before the real thing
to accumulate bug fixes and put better releases out for you, the users
and developers, to test.

David and I had originally planned to add a feature we dubbed
"reservation locks" for Berkeley DB (currently, starting new spam
scoring processes quick enough can lock out a reservation process, the
new feature would have prevented this). Adding such code however would
both happen under time pressure (which is usually detrimental to code
quality) and receive too little testing since the "release candidates"
process has advanced quite a bit recently, so we will put this on hold
and add this code somewhen in the 1.1 development, and rather make 1.0 a
solid release instead.

We ask you to test the new 0.96.3 release and report inconsistencies in
documentation, behavior, help texts; please make suggestions for
documentation improvement, and run the bogofilter self-test ("make
check") on your test and staging machines, too, particularly if their
operating system or processor is a bit off the main stream.

Please do not report SKIP:ped tests (we deliberately skip some of them),
please do report FAIL:ed tests however.

Happy filtering,