Versions [was: Closing database in exit handler]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Sep 11 17:28:00 CEST 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:36:02 +0200
Stefan Bellon wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:13:45 +0200
> > Stefan Bellon wrote:
>
> > > Yesterday I had a crash on my fathers computer with an old copy of
> > > Bogofilter 0.94.3 (I think this version didn't have unicode, but
> > > unicode appeared in a later 0.94.x version). I could track it down
> > > to the date being in some strange endcoding. I checked the same
> > > message with my copy of 0.96.1 and it passes without crashing, so,
> > > no problem with that message at present.
>
> > I'd like to see that message :->
>
> Sorry, I deleted it when I noticed that no problem with the current
> release exists. :-}

So be it.

> > 0.94.3 may well have problems.  It took quite a while until the 0.94.x
> > series reached stability -- 12 releases!
>
> Is there some defined process when you change the version number of
> Bogofilter? Couldn't the upper half of the 0.94.x release just have
> been early 0.95.x releases?

Generally, the .94. part changes when there's a significant change.

After 0.92.8 was promoted to stable, Berkeley DB transactional code was
added in to make 0.93.0.  The 93 series went through several versions
with transactional mode being the default mode.  The decision to have
non-transactional mode be the default was important enough that the
version was bumped to 0.94.

When unicode became the default, the version became 0.95.

The removal of TDB was the reason for 0.96.

HTH,