Closing database in exit handler

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Sep 11 15:45:38 CEST 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:13:45 +0200
Stefan Bellon wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
>
> > We used to have atexit(bf_exit) code for cleanup.  With the addition
> > of transactions last year, it was no longer necessary and was removed.
>
> Oh, I see. Perhaps that's why I didn't spot the problem earlier.
>
> > Since it seems to be needed again, I've resurrected the code and it's
> > now in cvs.
>
> Thanks. I hope there will be a 0.96.2 before some 1.00 release
> candidate?

Current thinking is to give release candidates 2 week tryouts to see
what kinds of problems surface.  So you can expect a 0.96.2/1.00-rc2
release in a week and .3/rc3 in 3 weeks.

> > By the way, are any of your crashes reproducible, hence fixable?
>
> I knew you would ask this question. ;-)

Yes, I'm predictable.

> Yesterday I had a crash on my fathers computer with an old copy of
> Bogofilter 0.94.3 (I think this version didn't have unicode, but
> unicode appeared in a later 0.94.x version). I could track it down to
> the date being in some strange endcoding. I checked the same message
> with my copy of 0.96.1 and it passes without crashing, so, no problem
> with that message at present.

I'd like to see that message :->

> But in general, I wondered whether the atexit idea wasn't that bad at
> all because the wordlist.db on my father's machine was left open, so
> all subsequent attempts to run Bogofilter failed.
>
> If I see a crash with a recent version of Bogofilter I will give you a
> detailed report.

0.94.3 may well have problems.  It took quite a while until the 0.94.x
series reached stability -- 12 releases!