... convert_unicode.c ...

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Thu Jun 23 18:49:13 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 02:56:35PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Having both options also allows personal preferences.  I know some of
> > our cyrillic users have CP866 and KOI8-R as their default charsets.
> > Perhaps those would be useful as their default-to-charset.  Maybe so,
>
> It is their default-from-charset, not "-to-charset".

Hoping I may speak for Cyrillic users, they would rather choose
between Windows-1251 and KOI8-R as their default-from-charset since
literally nobody uses CP866 on the Net side.  Interestingly, I
receive most ham in KOI8-R and most spam in Windows-1251, and I've
never seen an email in CP866.  However, today most non-English
spammers seem to specify charset right for their recipients to be
able to read the junk in one click--who will ever spend two clicks
to read spam?  Therefore US-ASCII is a reasonable default-from-charset
for Cyrillic users.  I hope that it is for Chinese folks, too :-)

And of course I vote for using UTF-8 as the default -to-charset
without giving special support for national encodings like CP866.
So bogofilter developers from all over the world won't have to fight
over national issues, while people trying to localize software will
have free time to spend on more fruitful projects than l10n :-)

--
Yar