... convert_unicode.c ...

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jun 23 13:41:09 CEST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:56:35 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Using "iso-8859-1" as the default "from charset" seems like a reasonable
> > default to me.
>
> Nope. Windows-1252 - and the fallback should be user-configurable.

I totally agree with user configurable.  At present configure has the
"--charset-default=XYZ" option, which is the logical choice for this,
though I do have a minor concern.  Since iconv() tries to convert
_from_ any charset _to_ any other, why not have:

   --default-from-charset=US-ASCII
   --default-to-charset=UTF-8

to allow full flexibility.  I suggest US-ASCII because it's consistent
with the RFC's.  Realistically, you're probably right.  With most of
the world's computers running Windoze, windoze-1252 is reasonable.
However it bothers me to have a windoze charset be _our_ default.

Having both options also allows personal preferences.  I know some of
our cyrillic users have CP866 and KOI8-R as their default charsets.
Perhaps those would be useful as their default-to-charset.  Maybe so,
maybe not :-)

Regards,