OpenBSD 3.4 isspace() b0rked

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Thu Jan 27 12:01:26 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Otto Moerbeek <otto at drijf.net> writes:
> >
> >> Reviewing this again, I think you might be right. C99 is also clear that
> >> the set of isspace() chars is fixed in the C/Posix locale.
> >
> > IEEE 1003.1-2001 2004 Edition defers to C99 so we're back to arguing if
> > POSIX allows an extension here.
>
> [...]
>
> > I've pinged the Austin-Group's mailing list for clarification. We'll see
> > what we'll stick with in the end.
>
> While nothing is official yet, various voices (including Andrew Josey,
> chair) on the Austin-Group-L have mentioned they consider this a defect
> in POSIX that ought to be fixed for towards C99 compliance.
>
> I therefore ask that OpenBSD kindly be fixed.

Since we are closing in on release, this will not be fixed now. We are
hoping to introduce real locale support (but not this release) and will
have to fix this by then.

As a side note, I like to say that programmers depending on isspace()
chars being the fixed set are making life difficult for themselves once
they do want to support other locales.

	-Otto