bogofilter -U (--report-unsure)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 5 02:57:31 CET 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:41:05 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David,
>
> what exactly does bogofilter -U do?
> What exactly is bogofilter -U supposed to do?
> Does it do what it is supposed to do?
>
> It's not documented in bogofilter.xml.
>
> using "notest" as an unknown token:
>
> echo notest | bogofilter -U -> no output
> echo notest | bogofilter -Uv -> spamicity line + histogram
> echo notest | bogofilter -Uvv -> spamicity line + histogram
> echo notest | bogofilter -Uvvv -> spamicity line + token stats
> echo notest | bogofilter -UT -> ROBX value + histogram
> echo notest | bogofilter -Up -> Message with spamicity + histogram headers
>
> Apparently, the -U makes difference with exactly one -v or with some
> other reporting option, for messages scored "unsure". Fine.
>

> I'll add the -C documentation to bogoutil.xml.

-U is in bogofilter's help message.  If a message scores as Unsure and
'-U' and '-v' are specified, bogofilter will print a histogram for the
message.  The primary use is getting more info about why a message
scored unsure.  I found very useful when I was using a high min_dev
(because few tokens counted in the message score) and less useful with a
low min_dev (because lots of tokens contribute to the score).