buff_t and thereabouts

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 19:57:01 CET 2005

David,

although I documented the buff.* stuff and it has some few users, do we
really need this?

I see some abuse (i. e. direct access, such as assigning a buff_t to a
word_t) and a lot of unused features, for instance, the test suite
doesn't need the "fgetsl to ->read", and some prying other types into
buff_t shape just for convenience.

What exactly is the advantage of buff? Can the buff_add perhaps be
folded into word.* and buff* be removed altogether? It seems the only
halfway serious user is bogoreader, and the latter looks somewhat
clumsy.

Short: I'd like to get rid of buff.* - hints and pitfalls appreciated.

Regards,