CR check in base64_decode

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 13:49:45 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

>> Ja. Particularly might this fix some of the performance issues with
>> unclosed tags that some users may have observed, although it might still
>> be susceptible to overlong lines. These can be chopped into pieces
>> though. Longer than c. 1,000 characters including CRLF doesn't pass
>> through SMTP anyhow.
>
> I wish it were so.  The RFC doesn't _prohibit_ over 1000 characters and
> I've seen messages with significantly longer lines.

RFC 821                                                      August 1982
                                           Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
            text line

               The maximum total length of a text line including the
               <CRLF> is 1000 characters (but not counting the leading
               dot duplicated for transparency).

Seeing longer lines means your software is tolerant. We may chop or
break lines after 1000 characters though.

Note that this has no influence on the actual content, quoted-printable
can map logical lines of arbitrary length to shorter "physical" lines
using soft line breaks (a line that ends in =\r\n), RFC-2045ff.