configure russian

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 02:14:16 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Evgeny,
>
> I'm thinking that russian support involves 2 options in configure:
>
>    --enable-russian
>    --with-default-charset
>
> The first one defines symbol CP866 so that the russian character sets
> are available.
>
> The second one allows specification of a default character set, which
> will allow naming of any charset supported by bogofilter.

I concur with Clint, I don't think --enable-LANGUAGE is the right way to
go. It may be my ignorance about the global scope of all this Russian
support, but I do think that we may already be heading Unicode without
our noticing.

Unicode is _the_ way to support near-arbitrary character set conversions
without adding either insane amounts of tables or "routing" a
least-losses way through multiple conversion steps. And if we represent
Unicode in UTF-8, we'll have to do minor changes only, as this is mostly
transparent. The str* and mem* functions count the number of bytes
though, not the number of glyphs. Well. Before we go there, some major
MIME cleanup will be needed.