long options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 28 13:23:18 CET 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:25:16 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > My proposal is to have the command line accept only hyphens, while the
> > config file will allow hyphens and underscores (interchangeably).
>
> Let's not add a "confusion mode". The idea was that the user could paste
> a configuration line (with quotes added) to the command line.

My goal in allowing config file options to be used on the command line
was user convenience.  The command line allows interactive use of config
file options without needing to edit the file.

Underscores in the config file follows the programming convention of
allowing underscores in identifiers.  Typing them on the command line is
a nuisance.

So you want to keep it the way it now is, with some options having
underscores and some having hyphens?  That's rather ugly (IMHO), not to
mention inconsistent.